I’m just a plainspoken Colorado criminal defense lawyer, but the way I see it…
Lots of folks make Christmas lists. Here’s mine:
- A police officer who will take the stand and tell the truth.
- A prosecutor who will regard a defendant as an individualized human being rather than a prospective conviction statistic.
- A judge who sees the role as advocate for justice rather than for the government.
- A juror who actually presumes a person innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
- A fundamentalist Christian and radical Islamist who see each other as brother or sister.
- “Christ” put back in Christmas — not the person, but the teachings about how we all should treat each other.
- No more police shootings of people who aren’t shooting back.
- No more shootings of any kind.
- My kids, my wife, my dog, home, and safe.
Maybe not all I want, but for a start.